Free Pattern!



I don't have time to post many patterns, and I certainly don't share every project I knit. However, I thought it was high time I shared a free pattern with my friends. I am on a major dishcloth knitting kick at the moment, and I prefer lacy dishcloths which can dry quickly to avoid mildewing. This dishcloth manages to do just that.

Lace Cable Dishcloth



Materials: worsted weight cotton yarn, size 6-8 needles (gauge isn't crucial), yarn needle, cable needle.

Seed stitch (with odd number of stitches):

All rows: k1, p1 across (you will be knitting the purl stitches and purling the knit stitches)

Lace cable stitch (multiple of 11 sts plus 7):
Row 1 (and all odd rows): purl
Row 2: k1 *yo, sl1, k1, psso, k1, k2tog, yo, k6 rep from * to last 6 sts before border, yo, sl1, k1, pss0, k1, k2tog, yo, k1
Row 4: k2, *yo, sl1, k2tog, psso, yo, k1, sl next 3 sts to cable needle and hold in back, k3, k3 from cable needle, k1 rep from * to last 5 sts, yo, sl1, k2tog, psso, yo, k2
Row 6: repeat row 2
Row 8: k2, *yo, sl1, k2tog, psso, yo, k8, rep from * to last 5 sts, yo, sl1, k2tog, psso, yo, k2.

Pattern:

Cast on 37 stitches. Work in seed stitch for one inch.
Work seed stitch over first and last four stitches of each row. Work lace cable stitch over central 29 stitches. Work to desired length minus one inch, work another inch of seed stitch for the border, bind off loosely and weave in ends.

Comments

TinFoilHats said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said…
Beautiful! I finished one today. (I think the first pattern row is k1, p1, k1, then purl across to last 3 stitches, etc.)

I cast on 57 stitches and have completed the first set of pattern rows. It works perfectly. I would like to make a matching hand towel. (My mother will be 85 in February.)

Thank you for this pattern. It's perfect for a gift!

Best,
Sue
Diane Donald said…
Thanks for pointing that out! I did mean to say purl to end. :)
Anonymous said…
I have to say thank you again. Two skeins made one 7" square washcloth and one 11" x 21" hand towel. They are absolutely beautiful and my mother will love them. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
blindconfusion8 said…
ok, here it goes... i am going to attempt this pattern, being a VERY new knitter. i think i understand all the directions, and i am knitting this with "practice" yarn, before i go out and get the good stuff!!! i love this pattern, and i think it is going to be lovely... thanks, and i will keep you posted!! (somehow i think you'll actually care, and for that i am thankful!)


lifeisdirtydigin.blogspot.com
Diane Donald said…
Of course I care! I can't wait to hear how your attempt turns out. :) Happy knitting!
Lezza Baker said…
What does end yo mean?
Diane Donald said…
that just means that you end the row with yo, sl1, k2 tog, psso, yo, k3, p1, k1. Maybe that's a bad choice of words on my part. I'll fix it. :)
Anonymous said…
Love the pattern - thanks for sharing. I am going to make this as a face cloth for a gift with special little soaps.

Best,
Pam (also from Idaho)
Anonymous said…
Beautiful cloth! Thanks for sharing.

"Work lace cable stitch over central 41 stitches." should say "over central 40 stitches" (3x11+7)

To be honest: this wasn't my finding. But it was discussed in the Ravelry group SpĆ¼ltuchfieber (a German dishcloth group).
Diane Donald said…
Thanks for the feedback. I've updated the math to go with the number of stitches in the cloth pictured.

Popular posts from this blog

Free Pattern - Gulls and Garter Washcloth

Free Ribbed Beanie Pattern

Jacobite Bonnets!