Free Ribbed Beanie Pattern

Here is an easy little pattern I cranked out when my husband needed a new hat. Feel free to give it a whirl. :)






Ribbed Cap

Size - One size fits all

Measurements :
Head size 21" (lightly stretched, fits my head at 23.5")
Depth 8" (If you have a large head, you may need to increase this. Just try the hat on as you go.)

Materials
1 50 g ball worsted weight yarn (I used Knit Picks Wool of the Andes in Forest Heather)
1 size US 6/4.0 mm circular needle, 1 set size US 6/4.0 double-pointed needles (if desired, hat can also be worked in magic loop), yarn needle

Gauge
20 sts = 5" over k4 p4 rib, lightly stretched
*take time to check your gauge and adjust accordingly*

Note: Switch to magic loop or double-pointed needles when knitting in the round becomes uncomfortable, this will probably be around round 3 or 4, but your mileage may vary.

Pattern
CO 104 sts, join in round, mark beginning of round.
Work in *k4 p4* rib until piece measures 7" from cast-on edge.
Shape top:
Round 1: *k1 k2tog, k1, p1, p2 tog, p1* 78 stitches remain
Round 2: K all K stitches, P all P stitches
Round 3: *k2tog, k1, p2tog, p1* 52 stitches remain
Rnd 4: same as rnd 2
Rnd 5: *k2, p2tog* 39 stitches remain
Rnd 6: same as rnd 2
Rnd 7: *k2tog, p1* 26 stitches remain
Rnd 8: *k1, k2 tog* k1 18 stitches remain
Rnd 9: k2tog 9 times - 9 stitches remain

Cut yarn, thread through remaining 9 stitches twice and draw up tightly to secure, weave in ends.

Voila!

P.S. I now have a facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/russetlodgeknits. Come check it out!

Comments

Unknown said…
I am not sure how you can go from 52 stitches in round 3 to 39 stitches in rnd 5 by *k2,p2tog* across row.
I just finished rnd 4 in the beanie. What next?
J.I.
Diane Donald said…
My math must be off somewhere. I will sort this out this afternoon and fix the pattern. :)
Unknown said…
Ignore my last post. I read it twice as knit 2 tog, pearl 2 tog. Your pattern is correct. I hope you didn't spend too much time on this. My booboo! Thx for the lovely pattern.
Diane Donald said…
No worries. I was starting to worry about my math skills. ;)
Anonymous said…
Hi Diane, could you tell me if the knitting needle sizes are US sizes or metric [mm] ? I'm keen to give it a go !
Many thanks, Sue.
Diane Donald said…
The needle sizes are U.S., a U.S. 6 is 4.0 mm. I will update the pattern too. :)
Anonymous said…
Many thanks Diane !!
Sue. :0)
Danielle said…
Hi Diane! I just came across your pattern on Ravelry and I love it! I have a question though. You said that the hat measurement is 21", but I'm a little confused on what measurement this is. Is this around the head from the straight back from the forehead and around? Or is it from the forehead down over the ears to the base of the skull and back? The friend I have in mind has a small head, so I need to see how much adjusting it needs, if any! Thank you for your help!!
Diane Donald said…
Hi Danielle,

I measured my hubby's head around the forehead and straight back. This hat is really forgiving in terms of stretch, the main adjustment I make when I do these is how long I make them. Hope that helps!
Anonymous said…
I wish that I had known when and how to transfer this project to the straight needles, and also how to exactly finish the hat. I figured it out via youtube videos, so that was lucky. I guess what I am saying is that the pattern should be written for everyone, including those of us who have never knitted a hat before (like me). Otherwise, great hat, super cute.
Diane Donald said…
Thanks for the feedback. :) I've updated the pattern a bit to be more clear.

Popular posts from this blog

Free Pattern - Gulls and Garter Washcloth

Jacobite Bonnets!